Thursday, April 26, 2012


An Important Moment to Remember

         21st March, 2012, a date I am not likely to forget for years to come. For this was the very day I had been waiting for after all those years of tension, struggle and heartache. This was the day that I would finally know my SPM results, a tremendous revelation that could either make or break my future. And this was how it all went on that fateful day.

       I had just arrived in my hometown, Kuching, Sarawak the night before as I departed from UTP early in the evening. Oh my, when I first landed, that was when I realized how much I missed my hometown after months of staying elsewhere. Even though I felt the jet lag after hours of travelling, just being home made me felt giddy with excitement! Honestly, at that point of time, I was more interested to reunite with my friends and could not be bothered about my results. But that feeling only lasted a while, as the nervousness began to kick in as the clock struck 12 o’clock in the morning. I rolled around restlessly on my comfortable bed, fearing the worst was about to come. In just ten hours later, I would either be the happiest person in the universe or I could be Little Miss Depressed and lock myself in the room the entire time. Both prospects made my eyes even more wide awake, and needless to say I had barely enough sleep.

       I closed my eyes for what seemed like 10 seconds when someone yelled on top of her lungs. Yes, it was my annoying younger sister, Sarah, who just had to disrupt my sleep to ensure I would arrive at school in time to see my results. Reluctantly, I showered, got dressed and the wretched feeling I felt came, harder than ever. I was so petrified that my usually big mouth shut itself down and I just sat by myself in a corner, waiting for my mother to get ready. Unfortunately, my father could not accompany me that day as he was busy with work, but secretly I was glad. One less parent to deal with, right? Not for long, though. My Aunt Seniah, whom I considered as my second mother, decided to tag along to provide “moral support”. My mind went, “WHAT??!”, and I tried my best to protest. My actions proved futile as she came by our house, and grinned me while commenting on how I was overreacting, that I should just relax. But how could I? Being the eldest child, my parents always had high hopes for me, to be a role model to my sister. And this time was no different.

       As my mother entered the gates of my former high school, I smiled broadly. I recollected all my time spent here, how I grew up, made friends, and learnt about the real me throughout my five years of study. And somehow, recollections of my past made me feel much better, that whatever my results were going to be, at least I tried my best, and made a hell lot of wonderful memories along the way. Walking to the Main Hall, I saw my friends smiling, crying with tears of joy, and when they realized my presence, we all just embraced and savoured the moment. They wanted to tell me my results, but I refused to listen and told them I wanted to look at it on the board, by myself. And when I finally arrived at the board, I took a deep breath, counted to three, and searched for my name. My heart literally skipped a beat. The world seemed to slow down all around me. I then hit me. I got straight A’s! And I was seriously proud of myself. I knew all the sacrifices were worthwhile, and it just made my world glow brighter than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment